About Me

I have been called on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I will be in the Washington D.C. North mission for American Sign Language as well as the Visitor's Center. I am super excited for this opportunity to serve the Lord for the next 18 months of my life and hope to be the best missionay possible!

Mission Address

Sister Heidi Witbeck
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823

witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

And more DC love =]

Well, things have definitely settled down from December, however transfers are next week and it's driving everyone nuts! I feel like I'm finally going to be moved, but of course no one knows till call outs on Monday night. It'll be about time I get transferred. I've been in Derwood for 6 months now and am in love with many of the ward members. One little girl (Kassie who is almost 5) keeps trying to tell her mom I'm her Sunday school teacher, and other things as well cuz she just says my name all the time. That's awesome =]Sis. Baxter and I went to dinner at one of our ward member's home last week and it was incredible. The husband is excommunicated but putting his life back in order and the wife is active and just recently went to the temple. I love them so much! We taught them the message of the Restoration before dinner and the husband just cried and cried as he told us about his testimony and how he has found peace through the atonement. It was the best member dinner appointment I've ever been to =]. I just look up to their family a lot! They've been through so much since I've been here and I've seen them change. He had just decided to start coming back the week I arrived in Derwood and ever since he's been reading the BofM on the way to work and the miracle of forgiveness on the way back. Just seeing the power of God enter their homes and change the spirit there has been unforgettable. I can't wait to see him rebaptized and go to the temple. He knows the power of the atonement and he knows what it's been like without the Holy Ghost. I know he'll be an incredible member and missionary for the rest of his life.The other family we've been working with (the part member one) are still where they were before. Heavenly Father is definately preparing him, but it may take a while before he finally pulls down the walls of pride and surrenders his heart to feeling the spirit testify to him. We can only bring the spirit to his heart, but it's up to him to open his heart and let it in.I got to terp for the deaf Elders' CDM (combined district meeting) last week. It was so fun! I know I complained a lot about terping last year but I really miss it. Any opportunity I have I quickly take advantage of. This Sunday I will be terping in the large theater at the VC for the "Why I believe". We have it once a month and really it's a place where we can bring our investigators to hear people speak about why they believe in the gospel. It's a really cool idea.This week we've found 14 new investigators! That's crazy!!! Usually it's about 6 or 7, but God has been good to us =]. We're teaching a family from Etheopia, one from India, a woman from Peru, and a white American family (that's a miracle!). One of our other investigators is a girl who's 9 yrs old. Both her parents are returned missionaries but her dad has decided not to go back to church and her mom is Less Active (LA). She's active in principle, but not in practice. She actually served her mission here in DC north. She talks about the VC all the time and how her mission is different than missions are now. It's so sad to see some of these people who shared the gospel once and had a burning testimony but now don't feel the need as urgently as they used to. That's why it's so important to do the little things everyday that help remind us of who we are and who we can become! Elder Arnold from the 70 came to the VC a while ago and (I think I wrote this home, but I'm gonna write it again cuz it's never left me!) he said "make everyday a celestial day." That's SO important! Put off the natural man and become a child through the atonement of Christ our Lord. Easier said than done, but possible nonetheless. It's hard to be unselfish and put God first always, but in order to have a pure heart and clean hands that's what we need to do.I pray for you always! I miss you all and love you more =]

~Sister Witbeck~

P.S. mom-if the Zundell's are part of the Washington DC Mormon choir I'm sure I've seen them. That choir has come to the VC a few times since I've been here. In fact I believe they are the ones that performed when Pres Packer and Elder Oaks came. Crazy how small the world is!Also, you may need to empty the other picture chip and send it back =]. I though you wouldn't need to but 2 of the ones I have only hold like 100 and if I'm gonna go to the city more, I'm definitely gonna need to take more pics =]. Thanks for all you do!!!!!!