About Me

I have been called on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I will be in the Washington D.C. North mission for American Sign Language as well as the Visitor's Center. I am super excited for this opportunity to serve the Lord for the next 18 months of my life and hope to be the best missionay possible!

Mission Address

Sister Heidi Witbeck
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823

witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Miracles and baptisms

Ok, so here's the didlio from this week. first off we did sing our song and both the Pres and the missionaries loved it. Hats off. Jean is still planning on getting baptized Sunday so that's good news. Had an interview with Pres Friday and he said he's thinking about keeping me here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've only told him not to move me every week since I got here. But things are never solid with transfers till after our call outs Monday night so I guess you'll know next week when I write again. He also mentioned that he might and I mean MIGHT move me to the ASL program for the end of my mission after next transfer which will be Oct 1st, so I'm not going to get all excited and then it doesn't happen, but I can tell you I've been praying for this for a long time and I know you all have as well. Again, nothing certain till after it happens, but it's a least a highly pleasing idea =].Here's the biggie mircle! Our investigator Gladys and her family (a fiance and 2 daughters--Deijha and Kayla) were being evicted Tuesday, which was a huge mess and lots of longs stories, but I won't bore you with all the details, just suffice it to say that she tried everything and we tried everything. She had a house ready to move into but then that even fell through, so Monday morning rolls around and she has movers over there taking all her stuff and putting it into a truck and she has no idea where these things are going to go when they are all done. Right in the middle of it all Monday morning, the landlady calls and tells her to go ahead and move her stuff in and her family and they'll worry about it later. It was a complete miracle and everything was done at the last minute, but it worked out according to her faith and our prayers. I've been studying and learning a lot lately about effective prayer so it was a perfect lesson for me, and a great testimony for her. She really wants to be baptized and right now is working on quiting smoking (she has a goal to quit by Sept 17th), and soft talking her fiance so they will get married and she and her daughters can get baptized (her fiance isn't interested yet, but he's softening). She wants to do what's right, and she's trying her darnedest. It's so cool to see how much she's changed since we met her just 3 weeks ago. She said she was thinking about suicide the day we knocked on her door and she knew we were sent by God to show her the way. Well, show her we are, and following she is. Amazing. She will also be baptized and her daughters as well. Deijha (just sounds like Deja, I dunno why people have to make weird spellings of names...) is 9 and really wants to be baptized =]. She's so cute. I love how the gospel is so simple that we can teach both Deijha and her mom together and both can understand and learn.The other wonderful happening this week was that a member gave us each a $10 gift card to cold stone creamery for helping her move so we went and found heaven hidden inside. Apparently they have a new thing where you can buy a quart that you pick the ice cream and 4 mixins. It's incredible! Of course I chose chocolate ice cream with butterfingers, Heath bars, Gieradhelli (or however it's spelled) squares, and cookie dough. My comp had cream cheese ice cream with bananas, gram crackers (like the crust on the cake) reeses, and something else. We are going to be 500 lbs heavier by next week =] but it's so worth it.I hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Keep prayin. I love you all!

~Sister Witbeck~

lml/

--Don't be lazy, be CRAZY!!!--

----Moroni 8:3----