About Me

I have been called on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I will be in the Washington D.C. North mission for American Sign Language as well as the Visitor's Center. I am super excited for this opportunity to serve the Lord for the next 18 months of my life and hope to be the best missionay possible!

Mission Address

Sister Heidi Witbeck
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823

witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Holla from DC!!!

Ok, so I realized that last week I was really tired and failed to mention some pretty important stuff =], so now I have to answer the gazillion questions mother asked me. Wish me luck, and here I go. I am doing wonderful!! I love it here. The humidity is great! I didn't think I would like it, but I really do. It doesn't feel too different, but we are in a drought right now, so it may change later this year or next year.I am at the Visitor's Center (VC) 4 days a week for about 6 hours. The rest of the time I am assigned to an area called Derwood which is just north of DC. My apt. isn't even in my area (believe it or not) so we have to drive (yes I have a car) to our area and to the VC which makes it tricky sometimes with our limited mileage. If we have to drive really far we usually just park and walk, which means we have to be really good in how we plan where we go and who we see. It's a trick business, but so far things have gone smoothly =]. You can mail me at the mission home address and they'll forward it to me. I got your package by the way, thank you so much! The vest fit fine, but the other one (that you--mother--refers to as a vest =]...with the buttons) doesn't fit. It's too small. so I'm going to send it home when I can. You can do whatever you want with the pictures I sent home, I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna send the chip home when it's full from now on. I can only take pictures on P-day here so it might be a while before I fill it. The little tape I sent is for you to listen to, I have three other ones so don't worry about sending more or sending it back. You can if you want to, but no need. It would be nice to have the cd's from the shed, but if you can't find them don't stress about it. My roommates (Spanish sisters) have those ones and they listen to them a lot, so I might want them next transfer, but for now it's ok.Ok, so here's some other stuff for your curiosity. I was really bumbed about being put in the English program last week, but I've been told that I'll use ASL a lot at the VC. It just so happened that last week (total blessing from the Lord) 3 deaf non-members came into the VC with a million and one questions! It was right when it was my turn to give a tour, so the Lord knew they were going to be there. They were WELL versed in the scriptures (which is not usual for deaf people). They would give me a specific verse and ask a question or a specific story and the reference of where it was. So I gave them lots of scriptures in return, and testified a lot cuz sometimes that's all I could do with the things they were asking. It was really good though, and I called the ASL Elders afterwards and gave them their information so the Elders can contact them and teach them more. Other than that I haven't used my ASL, but I have had a lot of fun teaching! I have met so many people from different places. A lot of the people here are from Africa, and even more from South America. The ward mission leader in my ward is amazing! and so is my Bishop. Very involved in what goes on with our investigators and with the less-actives. I'm out of time, but I'll try to write a letter later to mom that she can possibly scan it to Mark or something...Gotta go. I love you all!!!!! Be happy and stay strong =]

~Sister Witbeck~