Hey! So I'm here in Maryland. I love it. The humidity shocked me when I first got out of the airport. I felt like I was swimming everywhere I went, but I love it. It's good. Instead of being dry all the time, I get to breathe water =]. The mission president took us (3 elders and 2 sisters) to IHOP for breakfast since we arrived at 8:30 am. After an all night flight I was super tired, but tried my best to stay awake during training meetings. They let us take a nap that afternoon for 2 hours before continuing on with the days activities. It was really good to talk to some of you!!! I really wish I could've called all of you, but I ran out of time, so I apologize for those I couldn't call, but those who write me get to talk to me =D jk, I still love you all ;-). I talked to the man sitting next to me on the plane (for the second flight from Gorgia to DC) almost the whole time about religion. It was a really good conversation and I basically taught him the first lesson. I just happened to have a Book of Mormon in my bag (ok, so that's not really just a coincidence, in fact nothing is, so I was just prepared in case the Lord happened to drop someone in my path on the way....and He did), so I explained a little about it, testified, told him to read it, gave him Moroni's promise and told him to pray about it after he read, by this time we were landing so not a whole lotta time left, so I also gave him a Finding Faith in Christ pass-along card and told him to call the number to get more information. He seemed really curious and treated the book with respect when he put it into his backpack, but I guess it's in the Lord's hands now, I should've asked him to put his information down so the missionaries could come (he's from Virginia by the way), but I forgot, so I have no idea what will come of that. Ok, so my new companion is Sister Senkoh. She's originally from Africa (Sierra Lione--sp?) but came on her mission from Greece. She's an amazing sister and I'm gonna learn a lot from her! The first day was spent at the temple, in a session (which I tried not to fall asleep in) and then on to the visitor's Center. Sister Senkoh showed me around and kind of explained what happens there, then I gave a few tours even though I really had no idea where things were, but everything worked out. It's amazing how much I learned in the MTC and now that I'm here I feel like it taught me nothing. Really, I learned a LOT, but nothing about actually being in the field. interesting. Anywho, my mission President told me that since we have 6 elders working with the deaf program and no other sisters that know sign language I am in the english program. Sad, and I almost cried cuz I have been looking forward to working with deaf people SO MUCH! But, obviously the Lord needs me elsewhere and I just hope and pray everyday that He will send deaf people to the Visitor's Center for me to teach cuz that is the only place where I can teach them. If we run into deaf people in our area, we have to just get their information and give it to the elders. I get about 30 min almost everyday for language study so I don't loose my ability, but that's it. So, for now English it is, and sign language is just hoped to be.I'm still trying to settle in for the most part, I haven't even unpacked my bags yet. Since today is our p-day we are going to do that later this afternoon. First we need to shop for some food so I have something to eat. I'm excited about teaching someone tonight (nervous as well), so I guess next week I'll have to let you all know how that goes...As long as the spirit is there, then I have nothing to worry about, right? heh heh heh, oh the glories of the mission =]I hope you are all doing well!!! I love and miss all of you. Stay strong and be happy =D
~Sister Witbeck~
Mission Address
Sister Heidi Witbeck
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823
witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823
witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net