About Me

I have been called on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I will be in the Washington D.C. North mission for American Sign Language as well as the Visitor's Center. I am super excited for this opportunity to serve the Lord for the next 18 months of my life and hope to be the best missionay possible!

Mission Address

Sister Heidi Witbeck
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823

witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Transfer #2 =D

Transfers came and went and I'm still in Derwood with my same companion and the exact same district. Love it =]. We just finished eating breakfast at Sis. Saunders house...she's basically the mission mom and always makes food for all the missionaries and gives it to us. She even buys clothes and offers them to the sisters at the VC. She's so wonderful! I wanna be just like her when I grow up =D.This week has been interesting. We don't have very many investigators because none of the ones we had before were ready for anything much less making a covenant with their Heavenly Father. So, my comp and I have been dropping people like crazy. That way we're not wasting the Lord's time with people not ready to commit, and have time to find people who are. We've been trying to focus on finding but we haven't had much success. We went tracting for 2 days almost straight, and didn't find one person. We did find a lot of people who lie (tell you that in a sec haha), and were condemned a few more times. One man was like "Jesus is gonna come again and tell everyone that he is not the son of God, he did not write all those scriptures, and he did not die for your sins!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously he's a little too prideful to understand the Plan of happiness or even the atonement, so we just testified and went on our way. Ok, so now for the people who lie. Hahahaha this makes me laugh so much! We always think of a question that is unique to our church and walk up to someone and say something like "have you ever heard of the restoration of the gospel before?" or "Did you know that Christ came to the America's?!" inevitably people will say yes, and when we ask them "how do you know?" they either make up an answer "God told me," "I read it in the bible," "One of my friends said that" or they will just laugh awkwardly. Then we tell them our message. It's interesting because I never really noticed a connection between knowledge and honesty. I always thought we needed to be honest for honesty's sake because God told us, but really we should be honest for truths sake because when we are truthful we gain light and knowledge and that allows God to give us more abundantly of the spirit and wisdom. No wonder people don't understand the scriptures when they read such an obvious verse! They lie so much in their everyday lives (not intentionally, but passively) so they can't have the spirit of truth testify to them of truth as much as they should. Sorry, that was kind of a ramble, but after running into so many people whose lives are built around fibs it just amazes me. I guess lesson here is be honest! =]. There you go.We have this old lady that we visit because her grand daughter was recently baptized, so we're teaching her the lessons again, and Peggy (the grandmother) is always there when we teach her. She doesn't want to be baptized cuz she was "already baptized". So many sisters have explained to her about authority, and I told her point blank last time I was there that she will not attain that salvation she wishes for unless she's baptized by the correct authority. She just kept goin on about her own baptism, and blah blah blah. She's just really prideful, and thinks that she knows everything. AND her apartment stinks. I almost vomit everytime I go! Now I bring body spray with me and spray it on my hands, mostly my fingertips so I can sit down with my fingers just under my nose (like a thinking pose) and smell something pleasant, otherwise I can't breathe. Bad I know, but hey whatever works! =] Sister Sankoh and I went there a few days ago to help her clean...she's in poor housing and someone a few floors up got bed bugs so the management wants to bomb the whole building at once, so everything has to be packed in plastic bags, and all the furniture has to be moved to the center of the rooms. Well, we went to help her start packing things away and OH MY GOODNESS!!! IT WAS NASTY! Was worse than anything we found in the shed. I'm telling you! She had lots of pictures on the walls, and everything was just hung with pushpins, so we would take the pushpins out and the pics were still on the wall, so we literally had to peel the pics off the wall! Most of them had old dead cockroaches (sp?) behind them. Infact I'm pretty sure their juice was what was keeping them on the wall. EWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! This spanish guy came in (he was maintenance) and all he said the whole time he was in there was "Too many cocroaches!!!" Before he left he looked at us and said "You sisters better not leave with those same clothes on! Ugh! Too many cocroaches!" It was so funny. We just thanked him, and laughed. Even the doorjams had dead bugs and lots of old "bug juice" on the top of the jam, you know between the door and the jam. It was really disgusting, but we stayed for 2 hours nonetheless. I don't know how anyone could live in a place that dirty! Disgusting.Anywho, that's pretty much all the exciting stuff for the week. No deaf people, and no I haven't signed at all for about 2 1/2 weeks now, but whatever. It'll still be there when I need it. It's kind of part of me, so I don't think I could ever lose it.I hope you all have a wonderful week!!! I love and miss you all =]

~Sister Witbeck~