About Me

I have been called on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I will be in the Washington D.C. North mission for American Sign Language as well as the Visitor's Center. I am super excited for this opportunity to serve the Lord for the next 18 months of my life and hope to be the best missionay possible!

Mission Address

Sister Heidi Witbeck
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823

witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net

Friday, October 5, 2007

Yet another week =D

Ok, so this week has been....interesting to say the least. We've have had a hard time finding people. I mean, our district only had 3 new investigators the whole week. We usually have about 8 or 9. Finding people is the hardest part of the mission so far. We go about it by tracting (A LOT lately), going to parks (where people tend to condemn us, so we don't go there as much anymore =]), going to parking lots of big stores, or bus stops....really anywhere a lot of people gather or pass through. Anyway, we've found plenty of people who are semi-interested (at least enough to give us their phone number and address) but none that live in our area, so we keep getting referrals for other missionaries. We taught the craziest woman this week! It was hilarious =]. Previous missionaries have taught her before, but we got an apointment so we went over. She had been taught the first lesson about 3 times but seemed not to know anything about it (besides the fact that her apt smelled of smoke and marajuana)...I'm pretty sure whe was just high on lots of stuff. She had all the characteristics of someone on drugs, so we taught her the first lesson again, and are planning on going back this week. We told her to go to church Sunday and she said she wanted to but had to see what the schedule would be with her husband and blah blah blah (all the normal excuses) so I just asked her "Do you want God to bless you?""Oh yes, yes!""Then you need to go to church to get those blessing, you're not going to be blessed now until you make it to church." And she just went on about how much she knows that, and wants that.....but I'm not fooled by her druggie self. She needs to get free of that before she's going to understand what we teach, so we'll see what happens this week. I'm super excited =]. I like people who are crazy cuz I get to be way more bold with them than the people who are all stiff and get offended easily, and I like promising blessings for people when they keep their commitments.At the VC we hardly ever get to see the end results of the people we talk to, but this week I got to see the end of a story! This girl came in about a month ago and she looked pretty troubled, so I went to talk to her and she ended up spilling her life to me, and was thinking about meeting with the missionaries, so I just talked to her about how the gospel has blessed my life and the lives of my family, and by the time she left I was pretty sure I ruined her, but it turns out that she met with the missionaries and is getting baptized next week! Yay for the spirit. Mom had a few questions that I'll answer real quick. All the missionaries get transfered every 6 weeks, but all the sisters stay at the VC. There are 36 of us right now. I have the opportunity to play the piano at the VC every now and then for training meeting, and one of our investigators has a dinky little organ...thing, so I played it the other day and sister Sankoh and I sang a bunch of hymns for her. She's really old so she enjoyed it =]. As far as ASL missionary goes, the sisters that were at the MTC with me are in different missions. One is in the ASL program in NY and the other is in the ASL program in Portland, Oregon. I am the only one out of my district (I think....there may be an elder as well) who is not in the ASL program. I have no idea why, but I'm sure the Lord is trying to teach me a lesson cuz it is super hard to be patient waiting for deaf people to come into the VC when I know that was my calling. I was reading my call again the other day and it says that I was called as an ASL missionary with the added opportunity of being at the VC, but right now it's the other way around, so I just focus on what's been given to me right now, and continue to hope for a deaf sister to be sent here someday. I got your packages the other day! Thank you so much!!!! I'm pretty sure I'm not going to need to shop for another month =]. I'm saving the little one for my birthday though so I have something to open up and celebrate.Anyways, time is up so I'll have to write hand written letters. I hope all is well with you. I love you all!!!

~Sister Witbeck~

Do you ever have the chance to play the organ or piano?