About Me

I have been called on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I will be in the Washington D.C. North mission for American Sign Language as well as the Visitor's Center. I am super excited for this opportunity to serve the Lord for the next 18 months of my life and hope to be the best missionay possible!

Mission Address

Sister Heidi Witbeck
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823

witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net

Friday, June 27, 2008

The beach is not for the faint of heart

So S. Bishop and I went to the beach last week. We found a perfect spot with about 6 ft of delicious sand and wrote letters for about 4 hours. It was heaven. We wanted to go back today, but it just so happens that today was our Zone activity instead. We went to a different beach with about 14 Elders (Calvert Cliffs) where we buried someone in the sand, found shark teeth, and flew a kite. It was about a 2 mile hike to the beach from some "camp site" where we parked so when we hiked back we had a BBQ and played capture the flag. I played bare foot because my feet were full of sand and my shoes hurt. That probably wasn't wise, but "I'll survive. There's no blood" =] (Does that phrase sound familiar anyone?? anyone????? =] hehehe). I definitely don't have calluses on my feet anymore, but after today I might have sores.This week has been good. My body is dying on me. I used to be such a morning person, and now it's so hard to get up and exercise. Ugh. If Satan can't get sisters through other means he'll go through the body and make it fall apart.It's crazy how much alike S. Bishop and i are. We think the same things in the same way. It's really crazy. It's nice though because lessons are always unified cuz we both feel the same things and it usually goes smoothly. Yesterday we taught a woman in a really ghetto area of Waldorf who has 4 kids and a husband who could be good if he'd stop drinking and smoking crack. Oh, he told us he wanted to stop by the way...except he's been saying that for the last 10 years. We're gonna work with them and hopefully it'll end up well. She accepted conditional baptism date, and will set a real one hopefully next week. We'll see. Many people get to this point then we lose track of them and can't get a hold of them, but I have faith. Now she just needs to do her part and keep her commitments. She's the sweetest woman! It breaks my heart to see her in the conditions she's in. She and her husband are high school sweethearts and are actually married!!! I was shocked. You mean we don't have to talk you into getting married before you're baptized! WHAT!!! You're already married and have a family?!? A really family!?? WHAT! They're in a ghetto neighborhood. I'm proud of them. Now they just gotta prepare for baptism and then the temple =]. Easier said than done, but possible.Well, I hope you are feeling better than I am. Sun burnt and sore feet isn't the most admirable combination, but life trudges on right? =]. Hope you're doing swell. Stay outta trouble. Love ya!

~Sister Witbeck~

lml/
--Don't be lazy, be CRAZY!!!--
----Moroni 8:3----