About Me

I have been called on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I will be in the Washington D.C. North mission for American Sign Language as well as the Visitor's Center. I am super excited for this opportunity to serve the Lord for the next 18 months of my life and hope to be the best missionay possible!

Mission Address

Sister Heidi Witbeck
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823

witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

sickness and prophets......huh?

Listen up folks. This is gonna save your soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not really, but I thought maybe that'd be a good beginning to a really boring letter =]. Did it work???? oh well. Here's the didlio. I was really sick this week so not a lot happened. My poor companion is so good, she had to sit around a lot while I slept, but she's a trooper. I think I may have passed the virus to her now........We did meet a prophet this week! That was really funny. He says "What would you say if I told you I was Christ?""Absolutely not!" Says I, maybe with too much confidence."Why not?""Because Everyone will know when Christ comes again. I can tell you right now you are definitely NOT Christ. Even if the scriptures didn't say He would come from the skies I would know that.""You're right..." then he quoted some scriptures from the Bible, probably just to show us that he knows what's going on. We had a long discussion about prophets and the Book of Mormon and for a little bit I thought he may have been interested (this was before the whole Christ thing). He asked very good questions then when I told him that we will set an appointment, the Christ thing came out, and I knew he was crazy. Not insane, but REALLY lost, and I hate leaving people like that without a very bold testimony, so I continued to talk to him for a few more minutes and all of a sudden he got kinda mean and said: "You tell your prophet to come and visit me. Tell a prophet to come and speak to another prophet.""How about you try and visit him" I said.Then he comes out with "Well, then tell him not to send me under leagues anymore."My first thought was--did he just call me an under league?--but I had to stop him in his tracks and tell him by what authority we have been sent here so I said "We are servants of Christ and have been blessed with His authority to preach His gospel in this area. When you decide to humble yourself and read the Book of Mormon you will know it is the word of God as we do."He then ends with "I hope you find the truth."I said, "We'll pray for you."I was really tempted to say "see you at the judgment day" but I didn't =]. People say that to us a lot here....usually born again Christians, but he wouldn't have heard it, so we left it at that and went our way. We laughed so hard on the way home though, I can't even express to you how funny I think this is! When I told my district leader, he told me tons of stories of crazy people they meet in the district itself.....thank goodness sisters aren't allowed to serve in the city =]. Anywho, that's about as exciting as it gets. If we can't find anyone that's interested, at least we can leave this area with our testimonies. Another day, when I was feeling better we tracked, and I really had to go to the bathroom. We knocked on a door, and a woman answered who said she was not interested (which is fine, whatever. We respect their innocent lack of knowledge), so I said "ok, um...can I use your bathroom?" She said "NO!" I looked at her with a shocked look and said (in a really sarcastic tone--which I probably shouldn't have but it was all in the moment) "thanks." shook my head and left her standing at her doorstep with the door half open. I have never yet had anyone say no when we asked for a bathroom. I've only done it a few times, when we tract a lot in a day, but most people freely offer and give water, or bathroom, food, but apparently this woman thought I was going to try and convince her and shove scriptures down her throat or something. Ridiculous. Today we are going to the great falls. Apparently there's a water fall thing between MD and VA, so we're going to see it. If it's cool and rapturous then I will tell you next week. I hope you all have a wonderful week and I will write next time. Thanks for stopping by =]

~Sister Witbeck~ lml/

--Don't be lazy, be CRAZY!!!--

----Moroni 8:3----