About Me

I have been called on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I will be in the Washington D.C. North mission for American Sign Language as well as the Visitor's Center. I am super excited for this opportunity to serve the Lord for the next 18 months of my life and hope to be the best missionay possible!

Mission Address

Sister Heidi Witbeck
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823

witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lame Bethesda

Well, the doctor we were supposed to teach last week called and cancelled because his flight was delayed (he was flying into town a few hours before we were supposed to meet) and he wouldn't be getting back till late that night. Sigh. We haven't been able to get a hold of him yet either. This area is so dead too. God still blesses us, but there's really not a lot to accomplish...frankly I do not feel like I've done anything here. Transfers are next week, and I'm a little apprehensive. I think this one will determine the rest of my life as a missionary and I don't want to stay in this area! No wonder Christ was killed by the Jews. I'm surprised they haven't killed me yet. Probably because we haven't taught in their synagogues........Too bad we're not allowed to proselyte in or near churches of other faiths.... We are going to teach a girl we haven't met yet but (a little miracle of God =]) a member set up a lesson for us tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. We invited a fresh returned missionary to teach with us (he just got back from England and gave a powerful testimony on Sunday). He told us he wasn't sure how the ward missionary role was supposed to be played by him, so we gave him some principles to teach with us. It's gonna be good =]. I've had a few occasions to teach with Elders and they can be so powerful in a different way than the sisters, so hopefully we don't overpower this poor girl tomorrow and scare her away =]. I've been thinking a lot about perspectives lately and I just want to say never judge someone against yourself, in fact never judge anyone. This race in life is not against others but against yourself. I haven't been through very much in my puny little life so I can't say "I understand" to everyone who complains to me because I don't. But I teach and minister to people everyday who are older and wiser than myself and are going through tough times. I see the missionary side "Just do it!!!!" But sometimes fail to see their perspective of "I have this and that and this and that, how am I going to fit this in now" and whatever else they may say. I'm just learning to rely on the Lord in patience and let Him heal them. I can't do anything without that help from above. I say the same to you. You cannot do anything without help from above. I hope you realize that! You will never be successful in the eyes of God until you do. Always be grateful, and race the race with yourself, not with others. Love them, and look for the good in them. God can bless you through them if you just let Him. His power is great and His love even greater. We cannot even comprehend but a small part. Oh how grateful I am for His great plan of mercy which allows us to repent and turn our hearts to Him once again. If I can say anything to you today it would be to love God, love others and serve them. Please do not take advantage of the power by which you move and breathe. Jesus Christ sacrificed His blood for you and asks in return that you give your heart to Him. Let the affections of your heart be placed in Him and you will always have abundance of life. Sorry for the ramble, but now I gotta get going. I love you all and pray for you often. Be good and stay outta trouble =]
~Sister Witbeck~ lml/

--Don't be lazy, be CRAZY!!!--

----Moroni 8:3----