Well, this week has been good. The 14th was national day for the French and we have some members in our ward who served their missions in France/Switzerland (which is also where they met....kinda weird), and they made us some French food, and bought French cheese (which included some goat cheese which I LOVE!), and we sang the French national anthem afterwards =] I just hummed since I dunno French...yet. It was fun. Some miracles happened this week. We tracted into a member! She moved in 2 weeks ago and wasn't sure where the church was...besides being less active for a year. She's way cool though and wants to come back to church. She lives with 5 guys but told us we need to give her a swift kick and lots of encouragement for her to stop her bad habits...we're going to see her Friday officially and teach her all the lessons. She will come to church on Sunday as well. That was cool.We saw so many other less actives this week. We've stopped by I can't tell you how many times, but this week they were all home! So we were able to update records and get to know more members in the area. We taught a man last week who was really interested and said he'd come to church. He didn't show up and we had an appt Monday morning so we called to remind him, but no answer. Finally Monday morning he called us (just before we were done with studying) and told us that after we taught him he went on Mormon.org so he could make sure it was as good as it seemed and he found some things he didn't like, the Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity, and the curse before 1978. Well, I'm not gonna shy away from truth, so we kept the appt and told him we'd explain more in person. Since he lives in our apt complex, we just walked over there. At the end he said he would be willing to live the first two commandments, but he couldn't get over the priesthood cursing. He has decided not to study with us anymore. He's not ever going to find truth until he humbles himself. He even told us he's not humble, and didn't pray about the BofM. We asked him to at least do that, and asked if we could study about it and see what answers we receive, he said ok, but still doesn't want to meet with us. ARGH! Satan is lame. I've read everything I can about it (which is not much since I have limited access to anything), and have not had much success. I know we don't have any concrete reasons (because God's ways are higher than our ways, and we don't comprehend all that He does) but if any of you are willing to write me your thoughts on the subject I'd really appreciate it. Jean hasn't called us yet, but we are still finding other people to work with. Every week we sift through so many people. I'm not willing to work with people who are only half into thinking about learning, so we go through a LOT of people. Last week we taught a family all together!!!!!!!! It was so cool! A mom, dad, and 3 kids. I haven't ever done that before. It was probably one of the best experiences of my mission. We are meeting with them again in 2 weeks (a LONG time--eek!) because they are going out of town, but I hope and pray they will have begun to read and pray. There are so many good things that happen with the less actives in this area it's crazy. One (Bro. Thomas) was just ordained to the priesthood Father's day, and is totally active now. He called the missionaries one day and told them he wanted to come back to church more. They began meeting with him shortly before I got here (about 3 months ago) and is running with it. He's so cool. Also, another one has been less active for 20 years and called us to ask if we'd teach him the lessons again and help him get back to church. I love it!!!! He's also getting back with his wife (they've been separated for 20 years) and want to come back to church together and start over. We're going to help him quit smoking and understanding the doctrine. We're meeting with him Friday night. It's always a process, but one that always touches my heart and brings me such joy. Anyways, that's about it. I don't ever want to leave this area. The ward members are still taking care of us (by feeding us and giving us their friends to check on), so I'm in heaven. I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week!
~Sister Witbeck~
lml/
--Don't be lazy, be CRAZY!!!--
----Moroni 8:3----
P.S. mom no you never sent me the camera chip...if you could that would be cool. I'm almost done with the last one I have. And we went shopping today and bought some summer stuff, so don't worry about me =]. I'm dressed, and happy.
Mission Address
Sister Heidi Witbeck
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823
witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net
Washington DC North Mission
11700 Falls Rd.Potomac, MD 20854-2823
witbeckdcnorth@myldsmail.net